Saturday, October 8, 2011

Bountiful Baskets: Here at last


You may have heard of Bountiful Baskets food co-op before.  I first learned about it last year from my good friend Dani Dooley.  At that time, the closest pick up was in Lacey, WA.  That was a little too far away to make it worthwhile for me.  Recently, another friend started up a branch in our town.  I was so excited that I signed up immediately.  

It works like this:  You sign up for a free account on the website: www.bountifulbaskets.org, then follow the directions to place an order for your town on Monday or Tuesday.  The co-op then pools the money (about $15 per basket) to buy (mostly) local fruits and veggies, then volunteers (sometimes you) distribute them to other co-op members at a designated place and time.

I think this is a wonderful program.  The savings are substantial, and we think it's exciting to see what shows up in our basket each week.  Here's what we got this week:

2 apple-pears
7 large bananas
2# broccoli
1-1/2# carrots
7 ears white corn
4 red bell peppers
1 head of green leaf lettuce
3# new potatoes
7 limes
7 gala apples
2# red seedless grapes
7 large red plums
1 pomegranate

If I were to buy this basket of groceries at the supermarket, in season and on super sale, I would have paid approximately $25.00.  The food is fresh, the savings are great, and I like the idea that there are always things in the basket that are not on my standard list.  Since I refuse to let anything go to waste, I am forced to try new things and expand my family's fresh food palette.

Check the website to see if it has come to a town near you.  I think you'll be glad you did!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading our blog. We'd love to hear what you think.