Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Youth Conference!


"I belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  I know who I am.  I know God's plan.  I'll follow him in faith.  I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ.  I'll follow his plan.  I'll do what is right.  I'll follow His light.  His truth I will proclaim!"

Since I am a counselor in the Young Women's organization at my church, I was fortunate to participate in this year's Ward Youth Conference over the weekend.  A Book of Mormon marathon.  It wasn't easy, but we read the entire Book of Mormon from cover to cover over a 2 day period.  I am so proud of the 22 kids between the ages of 12 and 17 who valiantly showed up early Friday morning and stuck to a brutal schedule with minimal breaks, taking turns reading aloud until almost midnight, only to turn around and be back at 7am for another day of the same!  I'm not kidding about the brutal schedule....We even listened to it during meals! 

At first I thought that it would just be a fun challenge (do you really think we can do it in 2 days?), but that we wouldn't get much out of it, since we wouldn't have time to stop and discuss what we were reading.  I was wrong.  As for me, I gained a new understanding of the Book of Mormon as a whole.  It seemed to flow so well together and I feel like I got a real sense of the timeline and history of the Book by reading it straight through.  I don't think I've ever seen it from that perspective before.  I am grateful for the opportunity I had to participate in this memorable event, and I hope that everyone gets the chance, once in their life, to feast on the Book of Mormon as we did.  HAZAA!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading our blog. We'd love to hear what you think.